Tuesday, July 15, 2014

"The Roaring and Tossing of the Sea" - Hurricanes and Tsunamis?

Hurricane Elena September 1985
Public Domain photo from NASA
While we're talking about weather and other natural or earth-related phenomena, I thought we'd hop over to the book of Luke 21 and look at two more prophecies there. (Tweet that!) The twenty-first chapter of Luke runs parallel to Matthew 24, meaning this is where Luke wrote his version of the same conversation Jesus had with his disciples that Matthew wrote in his chapter 24.

I wanted to take this slight detour because Luke mentions something Matthew did not. Luke talks about "the roaring and tossing of the sea." Here's the rest of that verse:

"There will be signs in the sun, moon and stars. On the earth, nations will be in anguish and perplexity at the roaring and tossing of the sea" (Luke 21:25, NIV). 

Just a note: As mentioned, we're looking at this verse in Luke because it seems similar to the other prophecies of natural phenomena that we've been looking at. However we are going a little out of order in the timing of when these events will occur. What we've been looking at in Matthew 24 so far (and will continue with tomorrow with another earlier verse, Luke 21:11), is the beginning of the list of happenings or events Jesus said would take place before his return. However this verse, Luke 21:25, is toward the end of that list Jesus gave, so we're skipping a bit forward.

If we can presume Jesus listed these events in a general order that they will occur in, then the "roaring and tossing of the sea" comes later, after the earthquakes and famines. Since Luke lists this later, that fact implies it will occur later, deeper into the End Times and closer to Jesus' return. That presumption is arguable though.

Anyway, "The roaring and tossing of the sea." What do you think that is? (Tweet that!)

Catarina March 26, 2004
Public Domain photo from NASA
What come to my mind are

  • hurricanes
  • tsunamis
  • and possibly other severe storms over the oceans.

Interestingly, in Revelation, when John wrote his prophecy and vision of the end times, there is a passage about the "sea" and John interprets that for us telling us it means great multitudes of people.

Then the angel said to me, "The waters you saw, where the prostitute sits, are peoples, multitudes, nations and languages" (Revelation 17:15, NIV).

Here in Luke, however, I do believe Jesus means literal storms at sea. But do you think there could also be a parallel of multitudes of people groups being in turmoil?

In recent years we've seen storms like:

  • Hurricane Katrina, August 23 - September 3, 2005 
  • Super Storm Sandy, October 22 - 31, 2012
  • March 11, 2011, a magnitude 9.0 earthquake (the largest on record) triggers a tsunami that severely damages the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant in Okuma, Japan.

Of course tsunamis are directly related to, and caused by, earthquakes, which we looked at in three posts last week.

Every year the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) predicts how many hurricanes will occur. The National Hurricane Center, which is part of NOAA, keeps tabs on hurricanes. 

As the prophecies Jesus gave draw nearer, we will see the frequency and intensity of these sea-storms increase. (Tweet that!) When these storms get this great, "nations will be in anguish and perplexity at the roaring and tossing of the sea." Do you think we saw that after the tsunami hit Japan and during Super Storm Sandy?

The increase in these devastating storms will be greatly upsetting to a great many people, mostly people, I think, who do not know Jesus and who do not trust God. They will blame it on global warming or other ideas. They will be in anguish. They will be greatly perplexed, because they do not understand what God is doing. (Tweet that!)

What is God doing? Trying, still, to get their attention. To let them know time is running out. (Tweet that!) Some will listen and respond. Many will not. But for those who do listen and respond to Him, He promises to receive into His kingdom for all eternity. (Tweet that!)

Related Articles:


Coming Next:


  • July 17, 2014 "Pestilences in Various Places..."
  • July 19, 2014 "The Beginning of Birth Pains"

14 comments:

  1. Readers may find this blog provides similar imformation

    https://searoaring.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe Matt 24 and Luke 21 are both talking about Armageddon and the millennial AGE and not the last day and not a pre-trib rapture. Remember they are Jews talking to Jews ..as the apostles asked about the 2nd coming (ON EARTH and NOT the rapture when he meets us in the air). As the rapture hadn't even been revealed to John yet (in rev.) But YES I do believe all these storms are harbingers/warnings of what will be coming in the Tribulation period. Oh my! I also believe that Mt.Mk.Lk. and Jn. belong in the OLD testament, as there can't be a new testament without a testator, ie. Christ! And may he bless you all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not to mentioned the 2 extra Tsunamis that happen in Indonesia this year 2018. One in Sulawesi and the other on a huge coast line near Anak Krakatau Volcano which is Silent killer with NO earthquake being felt beforehand as a early warning. We are living in Exciting but highly Dangerous times. Totally unpredictable. Hope the Rapture hits before the
    BIG ONE comes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The answer lies in Psalm 65:7. The roaring of the seas, refers to tumult of the nations and peoples.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for your input and ideas and Scriptures -- all interesting thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What I believe the ocean prophecy is about is this..it is from Nature Publication

    https://www.newsweek.com/ocean-waves-are-getting-bigger-and-climate-change-appears-be-blame-1405672

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couple that with future calving of huge ice sheets, sea level rise, and resulting earthquakes predicted by National Geographic..these are caused by the release of pressure on the earth's crust from huge quantities of ice being displaced..and you will see the dismay among all nations. It's coming, faster than we think.

      Delete
    2. https://www.popsci.com/climate-change-wave-energy

      Delete
  7. I had come here in good faith that my post can at least be look into and not be deleted. I have read what you posted on here with your blog and I did not disagree to what you have posted here. I posted what i considered to be a credible evidence of what the meaning of "roaring and tossing of the sea" could really mean since scriptures made reference about a great army that are attach to the "Roaring of the sea". I don't understand where is the reasoning behind deleting my post. Could have just pray on it and ask God to reveal this whether to be true or not. I will leave in peace and pray all is well on your end, and may God help you understand the true meaning behind "the roaring and tossing of sea". God bless

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Unknown. I read your comment in good faith and felt it put forth views outside of commonly held understanding of the Bible. Your comment clearly held beliefs similar to the "Flat Earth Society." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_flat_Earth_societies The earth is not flat, my friend. Governments are not hiding this fact. How could governments possibly hide this? With every comment posted on my blog I am faced with the decision whether to let it stay or do something with it. Is the commenter serious? Is this comment a hoax trying to make me and my blog look foolish? Or worse, trying to mislead my readers? I get all of those kinds of comments often and I remove them from my blog as soon as possible so my readers are not misled. I seriously and prayerfully considered what to do with your comment. It seemed serious -- I did not think you were playing a game or trying to make fools of anyone. I believed you to be serious in your view. However your profile of "Unknown" leads to no information about you, which added to my dilemma about who you are and what you are trying to do on my blog. And the content of your comment is seriously not pointing to the Truth of Scripture. The earth is not flat. Armies are not waiting to attack from the ends of the earth. The only earthly armies are those we know of from known countries. Governments are not hiding this information. And, as you said, careful reading of the Bible verses you referenced does not prove any of those things. So my decision was to remove your comment in order to protect my readers who might be early in their understanding of the Bible and might be confused or misled by your beliefs. I did not mean to hurt your feelings or discourage you. I do encourage you to read the Bible and see what God is really saying to you. But my final decisions must be to protect my readers (Matthew 18:6) and my reputation. -- Usually I cannot restore a comment once it is deleted from Blogger. However in this case, I still have the content of your comment saved. I will re-posted it below this comment so readers may read it and judge it for themselves. Thank you for your follow up, Unknown. May God richly bless your study of His Word.

      Delete
    2. Here is the content of the comment referenced posted by Unknown, originally posted on 12/25/2019:

      Here is my two cents on this topic. The roaring of the sea and whats coming on the earth mentioned in Luke 21:26 is an army that will invade the whole earth from the ends of the earth. Isaiah 5:26-30 describes it so. Than again, this was also described in Jeremiah 6:22-30, again mentioned they will come from the uttermost parts of the earth. When you read this carefully, than Isaiah 13:5, Isaiah 50:41 and Jeremiah 51:55-56 will all make sense. If we can put this in perspective than we have an army coming from the ends of the earth that the nations of the earth will be in anguish because nothing like this has ever happened before, an army so great that men's heart will fail them. Now if such an army comes from the ends of the heavens than how come we are not aware of it? Well, its quite simple really yet complicated. The world's government have to hide just one truth, and that is the shape of the world. You eliminate the shape, and you will eliminate the prophecies of what is to come. Than this require a test of faith in all matters. Will you than believe that a great army is coming from the ends of heavens/ends of the earth that is shaped in a ball or shape like a circle where the Lord has his feet placed like a footstool. I leave these with you all here to decipher, for it is the Lord's will to reveal these things to me as it is now revealed to you. A destroyer is coming from the ends of the earth.

      Delete
    3. I feel a bit embarrassed that i actually wrote it the way i did. My views seems a bit out there, but i promise you it was not in my intentions to divert your readers, for i truly respect yours and everyone else views in regards to prophecy/Bible. I am humble, however, that you decided to repost my original post here for your fans to read it. I guess its one of those things we gonna have to agree to disagree with our views in regards to prophecy in the Bible, which I can honestly be fine about it because our love for our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ is whats really important which makes us brothers and sisters in Christ. If you no longer want to leave my first post on here, I will be fine about it and will not change my view of your kindness you have shown to me here. My name is Edison, I haven't noticed i was posting under as Unknown, but hopefully now you know I have a first name lol. Also, Thank you for letting me know about "Prophecies Fulfilled in the Birth of Jesus" and will look into the link you have posted on here in regards to a copy, I am sure would be a great read. Thanks again Diane, and hope you have a bless and wonderful new years to you and your family!

      Delete
  8. Also too, i found your blog about roaring and tossing of sea by google search. I didn't get the chance to check out your blogspot page after posting until now and noticed you have "Prophecies Fulfilled in the Birth of Jesus" which looks like a great book to read. Thank you for sharing about it on here. You have a great blogspot here and hope i didn't bother you or caused any confusion on my first post. I'll again leave in peace. God bless and hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comment about my book "Prophecies Fulfilled in the Birth of Jesus." Unfortunately the publisher put that book out of print so it is no longer available for purchase. However, you might be able to find a used copy on outlets that sell used books, including Amazon.com here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1938092279/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i5

      Delete