Saturday, May 3, 2014

Why Should We Study Prophecy? – Part 2

Morguefile.com
In Thursday's post, "Why Should We Study Prophecy? - Part 1, we looked at two reasons why we should study prophecies in the Bible:
  • To strengthen our faith for today.
  • To strengthen our faith for the future.

Both of these reasons to study prophecy are for those who already believe in the One True God and the Bible as His only true Word to us.But there are also reasons to study prophecy for the sake of non-believers. Or as I like to call them, "not-yet believers." That is because the study of prophecies in the Bible – looking at both what was prophesied and then what actually came to pass – can be quite convincing for the not-yet believer. (Tweet that!)

And that brings us to another two reasons to study Bible prophecy:
  • To show and convince others. 
  • To warn them.

Even when we show others prophecies given and fulfilled, they might not believe Jesus is God. (Tweet that!)

Even when we show them convincing arguments based on prophecies that have come true, not everyone will believe. (Tweet that!)

That is heartbreaking for the Christian believer, but it must not stop us from continuing to try. Remember that many people heard Jesus himself talk and they did not believe. (Tweet that!) Even Jesus couldn't convince them!

Jesus said:
"But as I told you, you have seen me and still you do not believe. All those the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never drive away. For I have come down from heaven not to do my will but to do the will of him who sent me. And this is the will of him who sent me, that I shall lose none of all those he has given me, but raise them up at the last day. For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day" John 6:36-40.

Many people heard him predict what would happen and they did not believe it. Then many of those same people watched it happen right before their very eyes and never put two and two together to make four. If Jesus couldn't convince everyone, certainly we can't. But it is the Christian's duty to continue to share convincing truths from the Bible.

Why? Because some will believe. And that is why, as Christians, we share our faith. We do it for the ones who will believe. (Tweet that!)

We should also study prophecy and share it for those who will not believe. So they will receive due warning. (Tweet that!)
"For we are to God the pleasing aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing. To the one we are an aroma that brings death; to the other, an aroma that brings life" 2 Corinthians 2:15-16.

No comments:

Post a Comment