Tuesday, June 24, 2014

The Prophecy Buff's Favorite Chapter: Matthew 24

When you ask many people which book or chapter of the Bible they think of first when asked about prophecy, my guess is most would say the book of Revelation. But my answer would be Matthew 24. (Tweet that!)

I guess I'm not alone. The other day I read this statement in Mark Biltz' book Blood Moons, "Let's … look at prophecy buffs' favorite portion of Matthew…" (p. 32) and he quotes verse 3 in chapter 24.

Guess I'm not the only one who finds Matthew 24 a favorite chapter!

Here is what Matthew 24:3 says (Tweet that!):

As Jesus was sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to him privately. "Tell us," they said, "when will this happen, and what will be the sign of your coming and of the end of the age?" (Matthew 24:3, NIV 1985).

Mark 13 and Luke 21 are chapters that parallel Matthew 24. Each relates the same basic information from this conversation with Jesus, but each are from a different writer so their words or memories of all Jesus said are slightly different.

There is so much information in Matthew 24 it would take a long time to work through it all. But that is what I would like to do this summer: take one topic at a time and work our way through Matthew 24. (Tweet that!)  I hope you find that idea fun and fascinating! We'll also catch anything Mark and Luke mentioned that Matthew didn't include.


We may take some breaks if something comes up that warrants it. But for the summer, I'm looking forward to working our way through one of my favorite chapters in the Bible: Matthew 24. (Tweet that!) I hope you'll continue to join me…and invite a friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment