Monday, March 10, 2014

Jesus Tells Us Before It Happens So We Will Believe He is God

Thanks Morguefile.com!
Do you know why God give us prophecies? (Tweet that!)

Any idea why He tells us first what He is going to do and then does what He says?

It was just before Jesus was betrayed, during the last supper Jesus had with his twelve disciples, when Jesus said:

"I am not referring to all of you; I know those I have chosen. But this is to fulfill the scripture: 'He who shares my bread has lifted up his heel against me' " (John 13:18, NIV 1984).

Right after that Jesus explained why he was telling them this information:

"I am telling you now before it happens so that when it does happen you will believe that I am He," (John 13:19, NIV 1984). 

What did Jesus mean by saying "I am He"? Jesus was stating in plain terms that he was the One God had promised to send. The Messiah. God come in the flesh.

This means that both Jesus and God the Father know the future. Jesus knew exactly what Judas was going to do. Jesus told the disciples—including Judas—what was going to happen only a few sentences later:

"Jesus was troubled in spirit and testified, 'I tell you the truth, one of you is going to betray me,'" (John 13:21). 

Not only was Jesus predicting the immediate future, Jesus was quoting from a Psalm written centuries earlier by his ancestor King David, who was the second king of Israel and ruled Israel for 40 years. David lived from about 1040 to about 970 B.C. David wrote many Psalms, and in Psalm 41 he wrote the words Jesus was quoting:

"Even my close friend, whom I trusted, he who shared my bread, has lifted up his heel against me," (Psalm 41:9).

So David wrote prophecy that would be fulfilled centuries later in the events surrounding the death and resurrection of Jesus. And Jesus spoke these words as prophecy that would be fulfilled in the next few hours of his life.

Jesus did this so we would know with certainty he is the One God sent, the Messiah, God come in human flesh.

Jesus is God. God knows the future…our future. Even today. He knows what is coming. And He is in complete control! (Tweet that!)

How does this bring you comfort?

As we see more and more events taking place in our world today that fulfill prophecy and signal that more of God’s prophecies are about to be fulfilled, what fear do you have that you need to replace with trust in Jesus?

Here’s a prayer you can pray:

Father God, help me to understand what You have told us in Your Word in advance so that we would believe in You. Help me to see clearly what is happening in our world and to trust You completely with my future and the future of those I love. Teach me what it means to follow You, because walking closely with You is the safest place to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment