Thursday, March 13, 2014

Strike the Shepherd and the Flock will be Scattered

After Jesus and the Eleven remaining disciples left the Last Supper, they went out to the Mount of Olives (Matthew 26:30).

"Then Jesus told them, 'This very night you will all fall away on account of me, for it is written: "I will strike the shepherd, and the sheep of the flock will be scattered" ' " (Matthew 26:31).

Here Jesus quotes Zechariah, once again applying prophecy to himself. (Tweet that!)

" 'Awake, O sword, against my shepherd, against the man who is close to me!' declares the Lord Almighty. 'Strike the shepherd, and the sheep will be scattered, and I will turn my hand against the little ones,' " (Zechariah 13:7).

Zechariah is speaking for God, so it is God saying He would turn the sword against His beloved Shepherd.

This prophecy, which Zechariah wrote and Jesus quoted and applied to himself, was fulfilled only a little while later.

"Jesus said to the crowd, 'Am I leading a rebellion, that you have come out with swords and clubs to capture me? Every day I sat in the temple courts teaching and you did not arrest me. But this has all taken place that the writing of the prophets might be fulfilled.' Then all the disciples deserted him and fled," (Matthew 26:56).

And so the sheep were scattered, and another prophecy was fulfilled. (Tweet that!)

If there comes a time when the flock you're a part of is scattered, and the human shepherd you follow is struck, have you considered where you will flee to? Always follow Jesus and you'll never be lost. (Tweet that!)

No comments:

Post a Comment