Thursday, March 27, 2014

He was Crucified

Thanks Morguefile.com
In the post on Saturday March 8, Day 37, in the article "Jesus Prophesied He Would Go Just As It Was Written About Him," we looked at Isaiah 53 and the many prophecies in that chapter that were fulfilled in the crucifixion of Jesus. This included verse 5:

"But he was pierced for our transgressions,
    he was crushed for our iniquities; 
the punishment that brought us peace was on him, 
    and by his wounds we are healed" (Isaiah 53:5, NIV 1984).

Another passage in the Old Testament that is very prophetic is Psalm 22:14-17, which was written by King David who lived about a thousand years before Jesus was born. David lived from about 1040 to 970 B.C.

Here is Psalm 22:14-17. How many details do you see in these verses that describe a crucifixion and were fulfilled in the crucifixion of Jesus? (Tweet that!)

"I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint. 
"My heart has turned to wax; it has melted away within me. 
"My strength is dried up like a potsherd, and my tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth; you lay me in the dust of death. 
"Dogs have surrounded me; a band of evil men has encircled me, they have pierced my hands and my feet. 
"I can count all my bones; people stare and gloat over me" (Psalm 22:14-17, NIV 1984).

Jesus' words, and God's Word in the Old Testament, spoke of the crucifixion of the Messiah. When Jesus died on the cross, he fulfilled all these prophecies.

Jesus is the one all of Scripture points to. There is no other. (Tweet that!)

No comments:

Post a Comment