Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Christmas Advent Day 11: "What was Mary's 'Purification' About?" (Video Post)

In the previous post we talked about the circumcision of Jesus, and why that was important enough to list it in Scripture (that is, the Bible).

Today, we look at something else in that same Bible passage that is similar in that we often read over it and wonder what it means and why it's important. In this passage Luke also tells us that while Mary and Joseph were at the Temple in Jerusalem, they also performed the "purification" ceremony required for Mary. Now what is this all about? (Tweet that!)

Find out in today's video.

Here are the Scripture verses I reference in the video today. On the video I'm reading from the older New International Version, so the words don't exactly match this translation linked here, but it means the same thing.


"What was Mary's 'Purification' About?" 
Christmas Story vlog 
with Dianne E. Butts - 11 of 12

Here is a thought I had that I didn't include in my video: It is not sinful to get pregnant or to give birth, so why do women need to be purified? I don't know if this is the answer to that question, but my mind connects the verse in Psalm 51:5 where King David wrote "in sin did my mother conceive me." This does not mean David's mother did anything wrong in conceiving him. (Tweet that!) It refers to the fact that every one of us are sinful from birth. It's in our nature. We're born with it. Maybe that has something to do with why God gave Moses the regulation that women must be purified after childbirth. However as I said in the video, I don't really know and I haven't found anything that shows anyone else understands this either.

Related Articles: 


Catch up on this special series of Christmas Advent video posts here:   (Tweet this!)


Mary and Joseph faithfully helped the infant Jesus keep the Law of God right from the start. (Tweet that!)

Today's post along with the previous post and the next one are all linked together, so please come back on or after Thursday, which is Christmas Day, for the final post in this Christmas Advent video series. Invite your family to join you and then you can have some great conversations about Jesus on Christmas! (Tweet that!)

No comments:

Post a Comment